Did You Know ? | Facts #59

jyotinalui
Verified

Hey explorers,

I am back again and this time I am going to discuss the most important topic and the most important issue that is faced by all the youngsters of today's generation… Hypertension ( high blood pressure).
Did you know?
Hypertension or high blood pressure is the most common phenomenon that has been occurring in today's youth because of the stress and frustration of various factors which are there in their life…. In the recent statistics which found out that more than 89% of the youth today's generation are facing hypertension or high blood pressure disease which causes much damage not only to the overall metabolism but also to heart disease, liver damage and many more things.
What is blood pressure?

Blood pressure is the measurement of the pressure or force of blood inside your arteries. Each time your heart beats, it pumps blood into arteries that carry blood throughout your body. This happens 60 to 100 times a minute, 24 hours a day. Arteries deliver oxygen and nutrients to your whole body so it can function.

Now the most important question is why the blood pressure fluctuates right?

Blood pressure doesn’t stay the same at all times. It changes based on what you’re doing. When you’re exercising or excited, your blood pressure goes up. When you’re resting, your blood pressure is lower.

Your blood pressure can also change because of your:
  • Age.
  • Medications you take.
  • Changes in position
Why blood pressure matters?

High blood pressure — the “silent killer” — usually has no symptoms. It can damage your heart, kidneys and brain before you know anything is wrong.

High blood pressure is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Without treatment, high blood pressure can cause:
  1. Transient ischemic attack (TIA).
  2. Stroke.
  3. Heart attack.
  4. Enlarged heart.
  5. Heart failure.
  6. Peripheral artery disease.
  7. Aneurysms.
  8. Kidney disease.
  9. Broken blood vessels in your eyes.
Image​​​​​​

Who is at risk of getting high blood pressure?

Your risk of high blood pressure is higher if you:
  • Have a family history of high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease or diabetes.
  • Are age 60 or older.
  • Have high cholesterol
  • Use oral contraceptives (birth control pills).
  • Have obesity.
  • Have diabetes.
  • Use tobacco products.
  • Don’t exercise.
  • Have eat a high salt diet

Now after hearing all of this, the most important and common question that comes into the mind of a human being is, if I have high blood pressure what are the remaining options available to me so that I can keep a check on the high blood pressure?
Treatment includes making changes recommended by your healthcare provider:
  1. Reach and stay at your ideal body weight
  2. Get regular exercise
  3. Eat a well-balanced, heart-healthy diet that is low in salt, fat and cholesterol, and contains lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Your diet is an important part of managing your blood pressure. The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) eating plan and limiting sodium (salt) help manage blood pressure. Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietitian for a more personalized eating plan.
  4. Having no more than two drinks containing alcohol per day (for most men) and no more than one drink per day for women and lighter-weight men. One drink is considered to be 12 ounces of beer or wine cooler, 5 ounces of wine or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof liquor.
  5. Manage stress and anger.
  6. Avoid all tobacco and nicotine products.
  7. Other lifestyle changes, such as managing lipid levels (LDL, cholesterol, triglycerides) and managing other health conditions, such as diabetes.
  8. Take all medications as prescribed. Do not stop or start taking any medication without talking to your doctor. Blood pressure medication does not keep working after you stop taking it.
  9. Some over-the-counter medications, such as decongestants, can change the way your blood pressure medication works.
So that's it from my side for today. Make sure you check your Blood pressure time to time so that you can keep your organs healthy and damage free and make sure to keep meditate more for more cool Head...😎

Ciao,
Subhrajyoti Nalui
HTech