Easy Color Grading Tips to Make Your Photos Look Amazing in Lightroom

Navraj rathore
Verified

Whether you're a photography pro or a beginner, Lightroom has powerful tools that can elevate any ordinary shot. Today, I'll show you how I transformed this simple photo into a stunning portrait with just a few adjustments!
Let’s dive into the magic of color grading!
1️⃣ Original PhotoImage
Let’s start with a simple photo that looks flat and lacks vibrancy. Here's what I started with
2️⃣ Editing with Lightroom
To enhance this photo and give it an artistic look, I used Lightroom to tweak multiple settings. Here's a breakdown of the adjustments I made:
3️⃣ Exposure & Contrast
  • Exposure: -0.37
  • Contrast: +7
🔧 Tip: Increase exposure if your photo is too dark but be careful not to lose details. Contrast gives life to a flat image by adding separation between light and dark areas.
4️⃣ Highlights & ShadowsImage
  • Highlights: -78
  • Shadows: +17
🔧 Tip: Lowering highlights recovers details in bright spots, while increasing shadows can reveal more in dark areas.
5️⃣ Whites & Blacks
  • Whites: +17
  • Blacks: -22
🔧 Tip: Carefully adjusting whites and blacks ensures your image retains a natural balance between light and dark, without overexposing or underexposing any part.
6️⃣ Color Mix & White Balance
  • Temp: +6
  • Tint: -11
  • Vibrance: +19
  • Saturation: +1
Color mix
ImageImageImage
🔧 Tip: The right balance of color mist, temperature, and vibrance can significantly change the mood of the photo. While vibrance enhances skin tones and subtle colors, saturation affects the entire image, so use them wisely for the best effect.
7️⃣ Texture & Clarity
  • Texture: +31
  • Clarity: +64
🔧 Tip: Texture enhances fine details, while clarity increases overall sharpness, giving the image a professional touch.
8️⃣ Masking for Focus
  • Masking: I used selective masking to make the subject (the dog) stand out while softening the background.
🔧 Tip: Masking helps you isolate parts of the image you want to enhance without affecting the rest. It’s great for highlighting subjects!
🔚 Final Edited Photo
Here’s the final outcome! Notice how color grading brings life and detail into the shot:
With some creativity and a few simple tweaks, you can transform a flat photo into something beautiful! 🎨✨
Thanks for reading about color grading techniques in Lightroom! If you found these tips helpful, please give it a thumbs up 👍. I’d love to hear your thoughts or answer any questions you have, so feel free to drop a comment below. Don’t forget to hit the 'follow' button to stay updated with more easy-to-follow photo editing tips and tricks!Image Feel free to DM me on Telegram: @beshramfotugrapher. I'm here to help!
Thanks,
Navraj Rathore

Navraj Rathore
Content, Community

Image Image Image Image
RD.•°
Verified

Thanks for the tips 👍
RD.•°
MAGiC NATION
Image Image

Awesome 🤩