Glowing Concerns: The Environmental Cost of Light Pollution

Vaibhvwrites
Verified

Just a random search on Google ‘’what is Pollution and types of pollution’’ gave me results like ‘’Pollution is the introduction of harmful materials, called pollutants, into the environment’’ and types mentioned there was-
  • Air Pollution
  • Soil Pollution
  • Noise Pollution
  • Water Pollution
Well on an even day I was having a discussion with one of my nieces. I got to know that we have developed too much in recent years and that gave us one more pollution type, added a new syllabus in our upcoming generation and definitely did more irreversible damage to planet Earth.
Sorry for getting too emotional, now without deviating too much let’s discuss the new pollution type, that is Light Pollution, seems a new thing to read, but yes there is a term which we call ‘’Light Pollution’’, let’s discuss in detail
What is Light Pollution?
Light pollution is the presence of unwanted, inappropriate, or excessive artificial lighting. It’s like the glare of a flashlight in a dark room, unnecessary and intrusive. It’s called ‘pollution’ because it contaminates our natural night environment, affecting humans, wildlife, and the delicate balance of nature.
Impact on Humans and Wildlife
The effects of light pollution are far-reaching. For humans, it disrupts our circadian rhythms, the internal clock that tells us when to sleep and when to wake. This disruption can lead to sleep disorders, stress, and other health issues.
For wildlife, the consequences can be dire. Birds that navigate by moonlight and starlight can become disoriented, leading to fatal collisions with buildings. Sea turtles, which rely on the light of the horizon to find the ocean, can be led astray by bright coastal lighting. The list goes on, affecting creatures great and small across the planet.
Long-Term Effects
The long-term effects of light pollution are still being studied, but the outlook is concerning. Continuous exposure to artificial light is linked to increased risks of chronic illnesses like obesity, diabetes, and depression in humans. For the environment, it means altered habitats and disrupted ecosystems that can take generations to recover, if at all.
Solutions to Light Pollution
The good news is that light pollution is reversible. Simple measures can make a significant difference:
  • Shielding outdoor lights to direct beams downward.
  • Using motion sensors and dimmers to reduce unnecessary lighting.
  • Choosing warmer-colored bulbs to minimize blue light emission.
  • Promoting awareness and advocating for dark sky initiatives.
Conclusion
As we look up at the night sky, let’s remember that darkness is a natural resource that needs protection. By taking steps to reduce light pollution, we can restore the balance of our night environment, ensuring that future generations can gaze upon the Milky Way, just as our ancestors did. It’s not just about seeing the stars; it’s about preserving the natural world that thrives under the cover of darkness.

Idris48443
Verified

Staying in the midst of Bengaluru, i have noticed light pollution to affect myself and others alot. Sometimes when there is power outages for longer durations, it's just feels so peaceful. 
Might have to find myself some time out to go to the hills or villages to experience fresh air and nature 😂
AKBhavsar
Verified

Light Pollution should be controlled 👍🏻
Light pollution is something irritating...
There's a jewellery shop near me, it's Shop name is brightened too high my eyes gets closed when passing it 😵‍💫

Vaibhvwrites
Verified

Idris48443 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:47 pm Staying in the midst of Bengaluru, i have noticed light pollution to affect myself and others alot. Sometimes when there is power outages for longer durations, it's just feels so peaceful. 
Might have to find myself some time out to go to the hills or villages to experience fresh air and nature 😂
This is making an impact on our lives and we fail to realise it.
Vaibhvwrites
Verified

AKBhavsar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:12 pm Light Pollution should be controlled 👍🏻
There's a jewellery shop near me, it's Shop name is brightened too high my eyes gets closed when passing it 😵‍💫

What do you think, what are the possible ways to control it??
AKBhavsar
Verified

Vaibhvwrites wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 pm
AKBhavsar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:12 pm Light Pollution should be controlled 👍🏻

What do you think, what are the possible ways to control it??
There should be a rule like you cannot exceed limit of xx Lumens (lm) of lights so that it'll have a limit in particular area wise.